The Association for Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism (ASEN) is pleased to announce the call for papers for the 23rd ASEN Annual Conference: Nationalism and Revolution. The conference will take place from the 9-11th April, 2013 at the London School of Economics. This call for papers is also available to download as a PDF <http://www2.lse.ac.uk/researchAndExpertise/units/ASEN/Conference/23AsenConferenceFlier.pdf> .
Confirmed keynote speakers include: John Breuilly, Charles King, John Lonsdale, Karma Nabulsi, Stein Tønnesson and Sami Zubaida.
Proposals are invited for papers focusing on the following themes:
* Theories of nationalist revolution
* Class conflict, nationalism and revolution
* Popular nationalism and revolution
* Nationalist ideology and revolution
* Nationalist ideology and counter-revolution
* Elite nationalism and revolution
* Nationalism and the “great” revolutions (English, French, Russian, Chinese)
* Revolutions and national liberation movements
* Revolution and the diffusion of nationalism
* Internationalism, nationalism and revolution
* The art and media (printed, visual, etc.) of nationalism and revolution
* Nationalism, revolution and the collapse of communism
* Radical nationalism (left and right) as revolutionary – e.g. European cases
* Popular national resistance to dictatorship – e.g. in the Middle East
* State nationalism as anti-revolutionary
Abstracts should be submitted online no later than November 30, 2012. To submit your abstract, please follow this link: http://tinyurl.com/ASEN2013abstract.
Successful submissions will be announced in January 2013.
The ASEN conference team looks forward to reading your abstract!