- Russia Beyond the Headlines (28/07/13) reports on Russia’s new 28-point strategy to deal with the country’s ethnic conflict, entitled “Strategy of the State National Policy of the Russian Federation for the period up to 2025”.
- New York Times (23/07/13) analyzes the nationalism of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, in light of the landslide victory of his Liberal Democratic Party in recent parliamentary elections.
- EurActiv (23/07/13) offers commentary on the need for swift action by the European Union (EU) to prevent resurgent nationalism in Albania.
- The Atlantic (23/07/13) reports on the increasingly violent conflict in South Sudan, and what obstacles need to be overcome to become a stable state.
- Al Jazeera (23/07/13) reports on the civil conflict that has been devastating Iraq this summer.
- The Atlantic (22/07/13) comments on U.S. President Obama’s recent remarks on race, justice and the Trayvon Martin case.
- Modern Tokyo Times (20/07/13) analyzes the intersection between nationalism and art, in particular works by Japanese artist Yokoyama Taikan, in Japan in the late nineteenth to mid-twentieth century.
Stay tuned for SEN Article Spotlights, which will be posted later in the week.
News compiled by Karen Seegobin.
If you would like to write a response to any of these news stories, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.