- The Scotsman (02/08/13) provides a commentary on how nationalism can flourish without a new state, as well as on the nuances between nationalism and statism.
- Eurasia Review (01/08/13) analyses the rise of nationalism in Japan and China.
- Bloomberg News (31/07/13) reports on escalations of ethnic violence in the Czech Republic between the country’s ethnic white majority and its minority Roma population.
- BBC News (30/07/13) analyses what the formation of the new Telangana state, originally part of Andhra Pradesh in the South, means for India, while Financial Times (01/08/13) reports on how the creation of this new state has increased the calls for more states to be formed in India.
- The Big Issue (30/07/13) features a story on Tower Hamlets in London, “the most densely packed area of religious observance in Europe,” and the lessons it offers for multiculturalism.
- The Daily Beast (29/07/13) features a story on Derek Black, son of two prominent American white-supremacists, who has openly rejected the white supremacy movement.
- The Atlantic (29/07/13) has written a feature on Aleksei Navalny, leading opposition candidate in Moscow’s mayoral elections, and his past nationalist positions and politics.
Stay tuned for SEN Article Spotlights, which will be posted later in the week.
News compiled by Karen Seegobin.
If you would like to write a response to any of these news stories, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.