- The Guardian (29/08/13) reports on the claim that Westminster’s welfare reforms could actually strengthen the case for independence.
- Bloomberg.com (29/08/13) features an article by Paul Collier, who argues that nationalism could combat racism rather than inflame it.
- The Economist (28/08/13) blogs about recent studies which designed methods of ranking languages on a universal scale of difficulty.
- NPR.org (28/08/13) features a unique audio-visual experiment which reflects on the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington, one of the largest civil rights rallies in U.S. history, and where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his iconic “I have a dream” speech.
- The University of Manchester (27/08/13) has developed a new tool for comparing data on ethnic group, religion and nationality for any local authority in England or Wales.
- 972mag.com (27/08/13) analyses the creation of national identity in Israel, in light of the country’s proposed controversial law, “the Basic Law: Israel – the Nation-State of the Jewish People”.
Stay tuned for SEN Article Spotlights, which will be posted later in the week.
News compiled by Karen Seegobin.
If you would like to write a response to any of these news stories, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.